Tuesday, February 2, 2010

JK1 (a.k.a. Jim Keitt) After a week back home


Like last year, this trip presented many challenges and experiences that will certainly affect my life, the lives of my fellow Team Guatemala members, and the lives of the people of Guatemala that we worked with and ministered to. I have a new respect for the characteristic of being "flexible"! In some of my correspondence with people since my return I shared with them that I believe that God appoints people to be in specific places at specific times to do His specific will. I believe that about Team Guatemala. Some of us began the week as long time friends, but some of us began it as mere aquaintances. Before long we had all become a very close "family" and I am so blessed to be part of this family. We range in age from 13 to 64, but there was no evidence of "generation gap". We all went on the trip because we were all called by God for His purpose, and even though the things we did may seem insignificant in the large scheme of things, they were nevertheless important because God sent us. This may sound like I'm tooting our horns, but I'm not. I give all praise, thanks, glory, and credit to God, and pray that through our efforts His will was accomplished.

I learned so much about the hearts of my fellow team members while there. I witnessed hard physical work and I witnessed BIG LOVING hearts! "Agape" love is perfect love. It's the kind of love that God has for us, a love that expects nothing in return, a love that is given period! If we were all honest, we would admit that we don't always offer this kind of love. How easy is it to love someone who is lovable and loves you back, but how hard is it to love someone who is unlovely or can't or won't love you back? The love that I witnessed my team giving to the people of Guatemala was definitely agape love, from Alicia comforting a young hurting boy to the "G-unit" bringing dignity and compassion to a near 90 year old ailing grandmother and a dozen or so grandchildren or to the Team Guatemala Choir led by Melany attempting to lead the residents of the Senior Home into worship (or even me entertaining a young Mayan boy with my lame "magic" tricks. . . well, he did laugh!).

Leaving was a mixed bag of emotions. We were all ready to get back to our families and loved ones, but we were sad to leave, as well. I'm already praying and looking forward to our next trip! Anyone reading this who has never been on a mission trip, I respectfully ask you to search your heart and see if God is calling you to be a part of this ministry that Soul Discovery Church offers.

1 comment:

brenna said...

Thanks for sharing Jim. You are an invaluable member to the team every time you go! Your compassionate heart shines through.