Thursday, February 12, 2009

Story One

This past Sunday was our panel discussion for the church. I asked the team members, if they could only share one story with people, what would that story be? It got me thinking about my own one story. I don't know that I can narrow it down. But I wanted to share ONE of my stories to begin.

The team was busy serving food at the dump on Wednesday, there are hundreds of women and children waiting in line, some patiently, others not so patiently. Dogs are meandering, flies are everywhere, there are yells and screams and laughter from playing kids. I am walking around talking to the kids, showing them their pictures on the camera, just interacting. I see one boy approaching me with urgency. Before I can say anything, he wraps his arms around my waist and squeezes. I hug him back and he runs off to join his friends. He knew what he needed - a hug, a small token of love - found a way to get it. His immediate need for love was fulfilled and he could continue on with his day.

Such a small things I gave him, almost insignificant, yet did I make his week? Being able to hug someone? He didn't know me. He didn't even stick around for me to talk to him. I can't even say I got a good look at his face. And yet, I touched his world and he rocked mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is so much our society can learn from the children we encountered in Guatemala. Our lives are filled with so much stuff, most of it probably "good" by the standards we have been taught all our lives, but some of it definitely not. The point is, our lives are crammed and we tend to worry about all that stuff. We as Christians should know that when we worry, we insult God because we basically are saying that we don't believe He can handle our problems, that we don't trust Him. All the worrying builds walls between us and God, and between us and one another. Our lives are so consumed by this that we often times cannot minister to the needs of the people we interact with on a daily basis, nor love those who God has placed in our daily lives. We go to Guatemala with a focused purpose, to share God's love with people who need to be loved and we amazingly are able to leave all the "stuff" back home in the USA for week. When we experienced those children's smiles, high fives, and hugs, we knew they were genuine. All that mattered to them was that we acknowledged them, and they simply loved us, not expecting anything in return. No conditions, no expectations of anything more. That's the kind of love that God has for us...unconditional. It's called agape love, and of all the types of love known to mankind, it is the best! I think the kids in Guatemala have that all figured out! So what can we learn from them?....To practice the same love here as we do in Guatemala. That's going to take the same kind of focus. We look at those children and see their needs and then do the best we can to fulfill those needs. If we can do it there, we can do it here, and we can all do it for each other! We just need to get rid of the "stuff" and simplify our lives.